Oh how that title takes on a couple of different meanings! Most of you are probably thinking its in reference to the arrival of little Reece, but really it's directed toward me finally getting around to posting about Reece on the blog! I'm sure you all understand it's been quite a week for us!
After almost 3 hours of pushing, Reece graced us with his presence on Monday, March 7 at 5:37pm weighing in at 7lbs 3oz and 22in long. My labor had kicked in late Sunday afternoon, but it wasn't until 7:30 Monday morning that I finally met the admission criteria to the Mother Baby Unit at the hospital. Let's just say there was zero sleep to be had by either Carlos or myself all night Sunday night. I was ready to call one of my anesthesia providers I work with at the hospital to come to my house Sunday night and start my epidural just so I could sleep through these painful contractions! Ah yes, the joys of labor. I was definitely NOT the rainbows and butterflies kind of woman in labor. The excitement and anticipation of Reece's arrival was soon replaced by nausea/vomiting and "bring me to my knees" contractions.
Fortunately, my labor progressed very rapidly. Unfortunately, little Reece did not when it came time to push. Having been up now since 6:30am Sunday (and it was now 2:30pm Monday when I started pushing), lets just say my complete exhaustion didn't help the situation any!
However, at 5:37 when I finally saw that precious little face, every bit of pain (and yes, I did have an epidural, but there are some pains out there that can never be completely masked by meds!), every bit of nausea, and all of that fatigue just immediately went away and was replaced by joy, disbelief at this perfect little person in front of me, and love love love!!!
We spent 2-ish days in the hospital. We were discharged Wednesday afternoon since there was no reason to keep either Reece or I any longer. We were both healthy, happy, and ready to take our new little addition home.
Ahhh yes, home. It's a wonderful place to be when one is completely deprived of sleep :) Reece's adjustment is going well for someone who is only one week old today! He is eating like a champ, already gaining back 4 of the 7oz he lost after birth. At his first follow up appointment on Friday he weighed in at 7lbs even, which is great since his last weigh in at the hospital on Wednesday he was at 6lbs 12oz. Carlos and I...and Kona, are learning how to function on very minimal sleep at night. Little Reece finds night time to be his favorite time to want to eat and be awake, but again, only 1 week old so we cut him some slack here, but maybe for only a few more days :)
One thing is for sure, this little kiddo is loved more than he can possibly know...sleep or no sleep :) Both Carlos and I could just stare at him for hours and enjoy every little facial expression, playing with his hair, or just holding onto those long, but little, fingers.
Finally having our little Reece here with us is something I can't even put into words. He is just amazing in every way!
No comments:
Post a Comment