Sunday, January 16, 2011

A Much Needed Long Weekend

All I can say is, thank goodness for federal holidays.  They seem to come around when that extra day off is needed the most and for that, I am most grateful!  I'm sure I'll be singing the same tune next month as President's Day is VERY close to my due date!

I want to say that it was a busy weekend for the Kennedys, but I am beginning to think the word "busy" is all relative.  I'm sure in my former life (and by former, I mean non-pregnant) I have done 10x as much in 3 days and never felt so exhausted, but lately I can't seem to keep up with myself physically and/or mentally!

Friday was such a busy day at work that by the time I got home (I could have walked out a little earlier than I did, but after I finally sat down in my office, the thought of moving again was not appealing), I said to Carlos "I'm either making cereal for dinner or you are driving us somewhere to eat because I am not going to be doing a darn thing in the kitchen tonight unless it involves getting ice cubes for my water."  Needless to say, Carlos is not a 'cereal for dinner' kind of guy so he took me out to dinner...which is how I knew it would turn out when I presented the options :)

On Saturday, I was beyond elated when a woman I was interviewing for a housekeeping job was everything I was looking for.  We met Saturday at the house and I was quite happy with her, and her rate.  We just have too much house to keep up with since we both work and I'm obviously not able to do all that I previously could.  It has been my mission since arriving in Guam to find someone to clean and now I may shed tears of joy over finally finding her.  She starts Wednesday so I specifically did not clean this weekend so that I can see how good of a job she does :)  Following the interview, Carlos and I went off to the NEX (Navy Exchange) to get a few needed items and then met up with some friends for a couple rounds of bowling.  Yes folks, bowling :)  It truly was a lot of fun.  I started off my 1st game with a strike, but quickly went downhill after that.  I was beat by everyone in game 1.  Game 2 however, I made a small improvement and at least did not come in last place...I beat Kai...a 20 month old boy (he didn't play in game 1) :)

Sunday started our day by watching a very stressful football game as soon as we woke up, but the Steelers were victorious in the end!  We spent most of our afternoon/evening at a fish bbq.  Friends of ours had gone fishing on Saturday and caught 6 Mahi and 1 Wahu so they had a spur of the moment bbq to eat up all this fresh fish!  I haven't had fresh fish since arriving in Guam, and it truly doesn't get any more fresh than that.  They grilled it up and we had fish tacos or just hunks of fish and it was soooooooooooooo good.  Fishing in Guam is actually quite easy (so I've heard).  The fish are plentiful and practically just jump into the boat.  It's even better when other people catch it, prep it, and grill it for you!  Sunday turned into a late night so by the time we got home, I had enough energy left to brush my teeth and call it a night.  I was quite thankful for another morning to sleep in!

However...Kona had other plans for me.  Around 5am he came to my side of the bed and kept whining, which is not usual behavior for him that early.  You may all think I'm crazy, but this dog and I are in sync so I immediately knew he was about to have some bathroom issues.  Down the stairs and out the door we went and stayed for the next 20 minutes while he pretty much exploded.  I went back to bed following this escapade, but tossed and turned for the next few hours.  When I woke up again, I realized that I too am not 100% as I woke up with a head cold.  So other than doing the grocery shopping while Carlos went diving, most of my day today has been spent on the couch sneezing and blowing, while Kona lays on the floor next to me without any kind of appetite, but at least the "exploding" has stopped. My poor pup!

I'm not sure how many more busy, busy weekends I'll have in me, but I'm certainly not complaining, just enjoying all the great things I have the ability to do with the stamina I have to do them!

I hope everyone out there had an equally enjoyable weekend (minus the illness)!

No comments:

Post a Comment