Monday, April 25, 2011

Survival of the Fittest

Well folks, I survived.  No emotional mess, no kicking and screaming (from me, not Reece), no anxiety.  What I am referring to is my successful return to work today.

I thought about blogging last night and having one of those 'woe is me' kind of moments because truthfully, yesterday, I was a bit consumed with the thought of returning to work today.  However, because I really didn't have any extra time yesterday to blog, it worked out well that I waited until today and can now say with much delight that I actually ENJOYED my first day back to work (sssshhhh...don't tell my co-workers :) ).  It may be that I also enjoyed the fact that my return to work meant Carlos was on Daddy duty (he took his 10 days of military issued paternity leave when I started back because of some daycare issues we were having, but have since resolved...whew).  I don't think anyone can truly appreciate just how exhausting taking care of an infant can be until they have spent a full day with one.  And our little guy certainly does enjoy wearing us out.  When he wants to fuss, boy can he fuss!  So I will admit I took some delight knowing that Carlos was going to experience what I had experienced for the past 6 weeks!

Of course being the concerned mommy I am, I called a few times to check in on my men...although I'm not sure who I was checking in on.  I think it was more a concern for Carlos' well-being than Reece's!  I had to make sure he was still standing and that Reece hadn't done a complete knock out :)  Alas, both my  Kennedy boys did well today, minus a missed nap (for both), but all in all, a successful day for two of them...now just 9 more to go :)

I will say that work wasn't completely smooth sailing since it is amazing what a mind can forget in the span of 6 weeks.  However, just like those darn bicycles, I hopped back on and pedaled away...I just rode into a couple of pot-holes, but nobody minded!

It is only 7:30pm here, but I am heading to bed.  Because of that missed nap, Reece is already down for the night and I'm not missing my opportunity to catch a few extra zzzz's while he sleeps.  It may have been a good day, but being back on my feet all day has worn me out.

I ask that everyone who reads this blog say a little extra prayer for our darling dog Kona.  Kona has been severely ill the past few days and we can't seem to get a conclusive diagnosis.  Three trips to the vet (and two different veterinarians) and Kona has everyone stumped.  I unfortunately witnessed my poor pup have two seizures yesterday and I still can't get the image out of my mind.  He hasn't had any since, and we are doing everything possible to treat him and whatever it is that is causing his medical issues.  This dog was the picture of perfect health so to have something occur so acutely is devastating to us.  We've already told him he has to be a fighter because we need him around and our wonderful pooch is definitely fighting!  We are saying our prayers that some of these treatments we are doing will work and turn whatever this is around.

Sorry to end on such a sad note, but we are staying positive!  Send him a little love because if you know him, you know he is just the best darn dog there is!

No comments:

Post a Comment