I'm going to put that old saying to rest and say yes you can! Chronologically speaking, I know I am not old. 31 is the new 18, right?! However, you know when you've been in a career for quite a few years and you start to feel stale? Kind of like if you were to all of a sudden have to learn a whole new role you think you would have a heart attack? Well, that's how I felt when I decided to tackle the world of perioperative nursing (OR nursing).
I must admit, I was scared silly. Here I am 9 years of being a nurse (again, I am aware that some of you may not think of this as a long time, but my 9 years have been a VERY long time), and I decided to switch up my nursing path completely. Well, I am happy to report that I'm not as rusty as I thought I would be and am loving this new career path! I still have 5 more weeks of training here in Jacksonville, but I actually feel like it all makes sense. There is still a lot to learn and one can never learn it all since the OR world is constantly changing, but I am much more confident in my abilities than I thought I would be. Granted, I still get nervous for the next day when my instructor gives me my assignments at the end of the current day, but comfort all comes with time and experience!
The true test will come when I have to work in my hubby's OR room for the first time when I get to Guam. He's already been instructed though that if he yells at me or about anything in the room, he will not be getting dinner. If only I had that power over all the surgeons I will work with...sigh. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment